In response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak, Lakeview Pantry has modified its food distribution model in order to limit the possible transmission of the virus and keep our staff, volunteers and clients safe, while at the same time ensuring our neighbors in need get the food they need to feed themselves and their families. Please click here to download our one sheet and learn more about our efforts to keep everyone safe during this time.
For clients: Food
Lakeview Pantry is distributing pre-packaged bags of groceries at our Sheridan Market (with extended hours) and at La Casa Norte’s Fresh Market. Please see below for details on our new distribution procedures at these sites:
- You will be greeted by a staff member or volunteer outside who will fill out some key information on a tablet, including name, date of birth, monthly/weekly pickup preference, and whether you are a new client. We are asking all clients to wait outside for their groceries. No waiting inside is allowed at this time and all groceries will be brought directly to clients.
- Please wait in line – 6 feet apart, as indicated by the tape on the sidewalk – as your information is processed, and when it’s your turn, you will be brought a standard supply of nutritious groceries. There will be no personal shopping during the coronavirus outbreak.
- We understand you may receive some food items you’re not fond of. You may give your unwanted items to a neighbor in need, or let the staff member or volunteer know you don’t want something and they can return it inside. PLEASE DO NOT discard these items outside the building or in the Walgreens parking lot (at our Sheridan Market).
We understand that this model does not allow for choice of products, but to reduce the chances of virus transmission, we need to provide service as quickly and safely as possible. We will resume normal operations as soon as it is safe to do so. Please know that you will receive a variety of healthy foods from each of the main categories including: dairy, meats, dry goods, and produce.
If choice of food product is still very important to you, we urge you to sign up for our Online Market which allows you to select and order your groceries from a mobile device or computer. We have recently added additional pickup options for our Online Market, including an option at our Sheridan Market! Specific pickup windows are selected during the registration process. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call (773) 302-0125.
Severe Weather Protocol: To protect the safety of our clients, volunteers, and staff, we will observe the following protocol in the face of extreme weather. When lightning is spotted, Pantry operations will stop immediately. Pantry Coordinators onsite will make the decision to close. No clients will be permitted to wait outside. Coordinators may decide to reopen once lightning is no longer a concern (a general rule of 30 seconds between lightning strike and thunder sound) but this is solely at the discretion of staff onsite. Coordinators will let their supervisor know when closing and put a note on the door stating we are closed during the storm (or if closed the rest of the day). If Coordinators are aware a storm is coming, they may move through the line as quickly as possible and NOT take client information, but instead count boxes given out. This is only in the circumstance of needing to get clients home quickly and safely.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we monitor this situation. We will adjust strategies as needed, with the goal of keeping us all safe and healthy moving forward. As an agency, we are monitoring guidance and taking our lead from the Chicago Public Health Department (CDPH) and the CDC. We are continuing to treat everyone who visits Lakeview Pantry with respect and dignity. Coronavirus does not target specific populations, socioeconomic statuses, ethnicities or racial backgrounds.
3945 N. Sheridan Rd.
Chicago, IL 60613
Pick up pre-packaged bags of healthy groceries following our new distribution model.
Food Distribution Hours:
Mon, Wed, Fri: 11am – 4pm
Tues & Thur: 4 – 7:30pm
Saturday: 10:30am – 3pm
Lakeview Pantry provides Home Delivery services to our neighbors who cannot physically come into the Pantry on Saturdays.
Home Delivery Hours:
Saturdays from 11am
La Casa Norte
3533 W. North Ave. First Floor
Chicago, IL 60647
Pick up pre-packaged bags of healthy groceries at the Fresh Market.
Fresh Market Hours:
Mon, Tues & Wed: 11am – 3pm
The Online Market allows you to place an order from a computer or smartphone and pick up from one of our locations.
Online Market Hours:
Order Placement: (Place order 2 days before pickup)
Tues by midnight for Thur pickup;
Wed by midnight for Fri pickup;
Thur by midnight for Sat pickup
Order Pickup: (Specific pickup windows are selected during the registration process.)
The Hub, 5151 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Thurs: 2 – 7pm
Fri: 12 – 4pm
Sat: 12 – 3pm
Sheridan Market, 3945 N. Sheridan Rd.
Thurs: 12:30 – 2:30pm
For clients: Social Services
As a temporary response, Lakeview Pantry’s Social Services team is still offering the below services by phone call, video call, or email:
- Case management
- Mental wellness sessions
Please reach out to our team by:
- Phone: 773-525-1777 ext. 300
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text: 773-849-9659
Leave a message with your name, contact information, and service request and we will get in touch as soon as we can — we are here to help! Click here to download the flyer.
For volunteers and staff:
On a temporary basis, all volunteer orientations will be virtual. Individuals must email email@example.com and our staff will respond back with a video orientation link and steps to become an active Lakeview Pantry volunteer within 24 hours. We are asking that all staff and volunteers do the following to help prevent the spread of disease:
- We are now asking staff and volunteers to begin wearing cloth or other non-surgical masks at Lakeview Pantry sites in accordance with the latest CDC recommendations. We recognize masks are hard to come by right now, so we have placed an order for our own. We will continue to seek donations and/or purchase as many as possible during this time, but please plan to bring in your own mask until we have enough for everyone. It’s also imperative that we are wearing the masks properly. Please review this link for instructions.
- Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water and/or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. We are making sure to keep hand sanitizer in all public places at all Lakeview Pantry locations.
- You may wear the gloves we provide when handling food or serving clients. If you use gloves, please discard them after your shift. Do not save them.
- Try to reduce touching your nose, eyes, and mouth. Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Then go wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Stay home if you are sick. If you have a fever, stay home until you are fever-free without fever-reducing medication for 24 hours.
- At Lakeview Pantry we already wipe down and clean public spaces after each distribution. We are adding a few new tasks to the post-distribution cleaning procedures, including wiping down frequently touched items like doorknobs, handrails, toilet handles, elevator buttons and rails, etc.
- Know the facts, don’t panic, and don’t spread rumors.
Lakeview Pantry is committed to supporting our neighbors and their families during the COVID-19 outbreak. 40% of Chicagoans live in economic hardship, which means the loss of just one paycheck or even one shift at work can cause a dramatic decrease in financial stability. Schools and businesses are closing throughout Chicago, and we are working tirelessly to distribute food safely to ensure those in need remain healthy and fed. We will be here to help those affected by this crisis, but we need your help! Please support our programs and our community with a gift today if you are able. $1 can provide 8 meals!
A few small actions can help us all stay healthy now and in the future. We are constantly monitoring the situation and will give updates in a timely manner to all Lakeview Pantry visitors, staff and volunteers.
The Lakeview Pantry Team