On behalf of our entire team, we wish you – our clients, volunteers, and supporters – safety, health and peace during this trying time. During the COVID-19 crisis, we will post weekly updates about our programs and any important news we have to share. Included at the end of this post are the ways you can support the Pantry.
Demand for our food programs has risen nearly 45% since this crisis began and demand for our social services programs (including mental health counseling) has risen by 25%. Our essential, sometimes life-saving services are clearly needed now more than ever. Not only are we helping the most vulnerable people in our community, but as businesses of all kinds close their doors in response to COVID-19, many have been forced to turn to a food pantry for the first time. It will take all of us to step up, chip in, and lend a hand to weather this unprecedented emergency – together.
We published a new video about our response to COVID-19 in Chicago! Watch it below or click here to share the link with friends.
Our CEO, Kellie O’Connell, joined Fox 32 Chicago this week to discuss our work, our new distribution model, and the urgent need Nourishing Hope is working to meet during this unprecedented crisis. Watch it below or click here to watch the segment!
As Uptown grapples with the coronavirus outbreak, Nourishing Hope will be there to help. Our Director of Marketing and Communications, Angie Davis, discussed our relief efforts with WTTW, Chicago’s PBS station! Read the full article or tune into the video at 2:03!
- To keep pace with rising demand, we’ve added two new pickup options for Online Market clients: one at our Sheridan Market on Thursdays and another for The Hub on Saturdays. Specific pickup windows are selected during the registration process. Please see below for details. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call (773) 302-0125.
Online Market Order Placement: Tuesday by midnight for Thursday pickup; Thursday by midnight for Saturday pickup
Online Market Pickup Hours:
• The Hub, 5151 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Thursday: 1 – 7pm
NEW: Saturday: 11:30am – 3pm
• NEW: Sheridan Market, 3945 N. Sheridan Rd.
Thursday: 12 – 2pm
- Unfortunately, April’s Pop-Up Pantry at Wilson Yards has been canceled. These clients will still get their groceries delivered. Please stay tuned for more information on future Pop-Up Pantries as we monitor the COVID-19 outbreak.
- The health and well-being of our staff is of utmost importance during this time. We’ve partnered with the Red Cross of Chicago & Northern Illinois and NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) to offer mental health support should any team member be interested.
- We also hired a temporary Food Acquisition Specialist & Driver: Dan Watson! Dan has been working as a volunteer driver on Saturdays and comes to us from the hotel industry. We are grateful to add Dan’s expertise to help pick up donations from our retail partners!
- A special shout out goes to our amazing Social Services interns, who have provided us with hard work and valuable insight throughout the course of their time with us. As Nourishing Hope faced an unprecedented spike in demand, their internships ended – but they voluntarily extended their time, staying on board for longer than scheduled to help people in need of our services. We are so grateful for the passion, dedication, and selflessness of interns Layne Hardy, Hannah Davis, and Julia Kelly!
- We’ve added three new volunteer shifts to our schedule! Active Nourishing Hope volunteers should continue to follow standard procedures for signing up for shifts on their personal site. Click here to view our schedule of available volunteer shifts!
1. Online Market Set-Up at The Hub: Every Friday, 9am – 1pm
2. Online Market Pick-Up at The Hub: Every Saturday, 11am – 3pm
3. Online Market Pick-Up at Sheridan Market: Every Thursday, 11am – 2pm
- One of our very own volunteers, James DeLoach, was selected as Illinois’ Volunteer of the Week by the Serve Illinois Commission! James is a high school math and science teacher, and while he has been volunteering at Nourishing Hope since summer 2019, he has truly stepped up during the COVID-19 crisis and volunteers several days of the week. We couldn’t be prouder of James – and thank you to Serve Illinois for recognizing his efforts! Learn more at Illinois.gov.
- We are still in need of volunteers! If you’re healthy and able, please sign up on your personal site.
How to Support Our Work
- Donate: We have a critical and ongoing need for financial contributions to keep our neighbors healthy and fed. Every $1 provides 8 meals – click here to make a gift now!
- Volunteer: As we anticipate the need for food increasing in the coming weeks, we will need the help of healthy volunteers to help us pack groceries, sort food, and other essential tasks for our most vulnerable communities. Currently, all volunteer orientation sessions are being held virtually. New volunteers should email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a video orientation link and steps to become an active Nourishing Hope volunteer. Existing volunteers should continue to follow standard procedures to sign up for shifts.
- In-kind contributions: Donating food to help stock our shelves will be essential. Many food donations from our grocery partners have sharply declined, and our supply costs are likely to increase. Our most-needed items this week are listed below. For more information on in-kind donations, please contact Bill Thomas, Chief Operating Officer, at email@example.com.
• Peanut butter
• Canned tuna
• Canned vegetables
• Canned fruit
Thank you for your patience, understanding, and support during this time of uncertainty. Follow us on social media for the latest from Nourishing Hope and updates from the front lines of the fight against hunger: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Take care and stay well,
The Nourishing Hope Team